Tomato Rice… this tangy, one-pot recipe is a breakfast/lunch/dinner staple in any South Indian household. No side dishes necessary, you can enjoy the best of it with just the papadum or raita and an equally tangy sour pickle. Gosh! My tastebuds have got the goose-bums already 😛 It used to be a tiffin-regular of my Keralite friend, thus the recipe. I remember exchanging my tiffin with hers so that I could gobble down all of it alone, without a thread of shame 😛
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
1 cup (250 gm) cooked basmati rice
3 big size tomatoes, finely chopped
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 green chilies, chopped
2 heaped tsps kashmiri chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
2 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tsps mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
5-6 curry leaves
1 bay leaf
1/2 stick of cinnamon
3 cardamom pods
Asafoetida, a pinch
Oil for frying
Salt for seasoning
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add asafoetida and mustard seeds and let them temper.
- Add cumin and fenugreek seeds.
- Now add the whole spices – cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and fry till they release their aroma.
- Add curry leaves, chopped green chilies and stir for a bit.
- Tumble in the onions and fry till soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they turn soft and mushy.
- Add the spice powders – kashmiri chili powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin and black pepper. Add salt and fry on medium till the oil starts separating at the sides. Lid on and cook on for 3-4 minutes till the tomatoes and onions look completely dissolved in each other..
- Spoon in the cooked rice and mix gently with fork till the entire rice is coated with this super-tangy spice mix. Don’t use spoon here as spoon tends to break the rice.
P.S: Serve with plain yogurt / raita / crispy papadum and pickle. Once cooled completely, it can be refrigerated for up to 4-5 days in an air-tight container.
Reblogged this on .
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.
Never had it before, so nice !!! 🙂
Its very easy to make and yummy. U should try it 🙂
I definitely will! It looks delicious! 🙂