Sprouted moth beans curry or “Matki Chi Usal” in Marathi, is well-known in every nook and corner of Maharashtra – in homes and restaurants alike. Sprouts pack a protein punch. Rich in antioxidants and fiber, there’s whole lot of nutrition on the plate.
You can play with the level of spiciness too. I like it spicy. The fiery red color is enough to get my tummy rumbling 🙂
This one’s a heavily simplified yet delectable version of my tradition. Its fun to be shamelessly simple sometimes 🙂
Preparation Time: 20 minutes (only if you have the sprouts ready)
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5
1. 2 1/2 cups sprouted Makti or Moth beans
You can sprout them at home or just grab the ready ones from the market. I do it at home. Love to see those long gorgeous sprouts developing right in front of me.
2. 2 medium onions, finely chopped
3. 1 medium potato, cubed
4. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
5. 2 tsps kashmiri chili powder
6. 2 tsps goda masala (use garam masala as an alternative)
7. 2 tbsps ginger-garlic paste
8. 1 tsp mustard seeds
9. 1 tsp cumin seeds
10. 6-7 curry leaves
11. Oil for frying
12. Salt to taste
13. 1 tbsp lemon juice
13. Chopped coriander for garnishing
1. Pressure cook the matki and potato cubes with a cup of water and turmeric. (Remember not to overcook).
2. Heat oil in a wok. Add the mustard seeds and let them spatter.
3. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves and stir.
4. Add chopped onions and fry till soft and translucent
5. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till fragrant
6. Add the spice powders and fry till the oil starts separating at the corners
7. Now tumble in the cooked beans and potato cubes. (If you want a thicker gravy, mash a small amount of cooked beans before adding)
8. Sprinkle salt as per taste
9. Mix well and let it simmer on medium for about 5 minutes.
10. Add more water if you don’t want it too dry.
10. Lastly add lemon juice and stir.
11. While plating, garnish with chopped onions and coriander
12. Serve hot with chapatis or any Indian bread. Goes well with steamed rice too.
P.S.: After cooling completely, can be refrigerated in an air-tight container for 3 – 4 days.