‘Quinoa’ – ‘Kinwa’ as it is rightly pronounced, is one such super-food that has achieved a rapid global stardom… television, websites, food magazines, blogs, it’s everywhere. Dietitians are raving about the benefits and it has found a stellar place on almost every celebrity’s menu. Intriguing!
And rightly so. This health food is gluten-free, high in proteins, fiber, iron, vitamin B, calcium, vitamin E and is packed with antioxidants.
With summer glaring from a distance, it’s time to come up with dishes that are easy on stomach, loaded with nutrition and most importantly, adored by the taste-buds.
Thus Quinoa entered my kitchen… for the very first time. And, pairing it with Mushrooms, tonnes of Garlic and Thai Basil has totally blown me away.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Soaking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1/2 cup Quinoa
1 cup water for cooking Quinoa
7-8 Thai basil leaves, finely chopped
7 cloves of garlic, minced
100 gms mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Olive oil
Salt as per taste
1. Rinse, soak and cook the Quinoa as per the packet instructions and leave it aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan, add minced garlic and saute for a minute.
3. Add chopped Thai Basil leaves and stir for a bit.
4. Toss in the mushrooms and saute. Then cover and cook till the mushrooms are done.
5. Season with salt, stir and cook for another couple of minutes.
6. Now add the cooked quinoa and mix it all up. Cook on low for a minute. Add more salt if needed.
7. Drizzle in the lemon juice, stir and turn off the flame.
8. Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander and Thai basil leaves.
P.S.: Quinoa can also be cooked in Chicken/Fish/Vegetable stock instead of plain water.
Garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Leave a Reply